Where can I go Climbing near the Bitterroot Valley?
- Blodgett Canyon: Located just west of Hamilton, Montana, Blodgett Canyon is one of the most picturesque canyons around, not to mention one of the most popular locations for rock climbing as well as ice climbing. Blodgett Canyon offers 1,200 foot granite walls. There are some sport climbing routes (like Parking Lot Wall), but most routes require trad gear and two ropes.
- Kootenai Canyon: Just north of Stevensville, look for signs for Kootenai Canyon. It is home to a wide range of routes, making it accessible to all level climbers. The 1st Butress has over 20 routes ranging from 5.6 to 5.13.
- The Heap: This relatively easy climbing area boasts bolted routes ranging from 5.6 to 5.9. From Lolo, head west on Highway 12 towards Lolo Hot Springs, where you'll turn left onto East Fork Lolo Creek.
- Mill Creek Canyon: An advanced climbing area, Mill Creek climbing is exposed. Just north of Hamilton, look for signs for Mill Creek Canyon that head west.
- Lost Horse: About 15 miles south of Hamilton, look for signs to Lost Horse Canyon. This is an ideal location for bouldering.